The front porch is planted with pink lorapetalum. They are 15 months in the ground and in need of a trimming. I trim by hand with hand nippers. I do this mostly because I lack the mechanized shrubbery trimmer or shearing equipment that runs on electricity or gasoline. I also now attest that I do this by hand because it requires no additional time than if I did it with a piece of motorized equipment. From start to finish, including the as-I-go collection of the trimmings and their removal to the waste pile in the back yard, this task took 45 minutes. Because it was a manual task, I could hear the birds fussing at my nearby lounging cats and I didn’t need hearing protection or safety glasses. I don’t have to store a canister of gasoline in my garage nor do I have to be concerned with repair or maintenance or the motorized equipment. I sat for about 3 minutes before I started and hand sharpened my nippers. I like doing tasks under my own “power”.
I then knelt and hand planted two flats of monkey grass along the landscaped bed’s edge. This grass will fill out over the years and form a thick, lush, dark evergreen circumference around all the flower beds adjacent to the house and porches.
There are certain tasks around Biddan Ridge I simply avoid. These tasks mock me, taunt me and ultimately annoy me to the point I Must. Do. Them. First. Addressing the long neglected succulent patio garden has been at the top of the list followed closely by defining and weeding the blackberry stand. Well, the succulents won the coin toss today. I may not have saved everyone; there may still be loss but I am disinclined to go buy new succulents until I can prove that I can take care of the ones I have. They were doing so well at the Icky House – oddly. It may be that they were one of my few points of light while renting that horrid, icky place. It still churns my stomach that I was there four years. Ironic then that I’ve been here in my new dream home and I managed to smite most of my beautiful succulents by simply never watering them and setting their display area out of the rain. I intend to rectify this. I bought an additional hose, so I can now get a garden hose onto the patio. I also bought a cheap-o watering can. No excuses. Now let’s pray that the poor babies recover. They got extra love and repotting with good soil and plenty of watering.
The detached garage serves as car protector, garden shed and storage for Christmas decorations and the left over remains from construction. I have boxes of tile and two boxes of flooring in the event there is a need for replacements. I also have asphalt roof shingles and paint. I wrote down the names of all the paint shades and cut the custom mix formulas off the cans and set the cans for disposal. I then moved 1x8x10 boards into the rafters of the garage and relocated the tiles and flooring. It was elevated off the ground and at no risk of getting wet but I want to maximize the floor space for the gardening and yard equipment. I hope to purchase my own mower by Christmas and it will rival my sports car for floor space.
Rafters serve as elevated storage
Tile stored over head and the plank boards labeled